Friday, 29 January 2016

Deco and Nouveau

Art Deco and Art Nouveau are two styles of art that were popular in the early 20th century. It is my belief the two styles complement each other because they both have an aura of elegance to them reminiscent of a bygone era.

Art Nouveau came first and was popular from 1890-1910. I often associate with it women in flow-y sheets, surrounded by flowers or trees or general nature. I also think of swans. To me,
Art Nouveau seems like an artificial ode to nature in general. It sees the beauty in it, but it is glamourised rather than shown realistically.

Art Deco is what I call 'Gatsby Art' because it is evocative of the era in which 'The Great Gatsby' takes place. It was most popular following WWI until WWII so it spanned at least three decades. I prefer Art Deco but I like both-just Art Deco a smidge more. Where Nouveau seems to represent nature, Deco represents the city and metropolitan life in general.

Nouveau:
   File:Cheret, Jules - La Loie Fuller (pl 73).jpg

Deco:
File:Cochise County Courthouse Bisbee Arizona ArtDecoDoors.jpg File:Eastern Columbia Building entrance.jpg
File:Philips L1060854.jpg 

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you worded: "To me,
    Art Nouveau seems like an artificial ode to nature in general. It sees the beauty in it, but it is glamourised rather than shown realistically."
    It's very poetic and a perfect way of describing and and I agree completely.
    I also like that you took your love for princesses and all that and used it to your advantage in the blog a few prior to this one. You really showed a strong knowledge of the concept and conveyed your opinions very well and made the material less boring.

    ReplyDelete