Friday, 23 October 2015

Kathe Kollwitz



I came across Kathe Kollwitz a week or two ago while watching a documentary about World War I, I felt her art was incredibly moving and powerful, so when looking for people to do this entry on, I was pleased to see her again. Kollwitz's work was very much based on her grief and the grief of others after the war, her son Peter died during the war and her sadness is reflected in her art. Kathe Kollwitz is someone I would love to learn more about for her art and politics-which were socialism, pacifism, and she displayed interest in communism but I'll let that slide. Her art has such emotion to it you can see it clearly and feel the pain, she is truly one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

File:Het treurende ouderpaar - Käthe Kolwitz.JPG
'The Grieving Parents'-a monument to her son, Peter
Inside Neue Wache in Berlin where her sculpture 'Mother with her Dead Son' is the centrepiece. The memorial is for 'Victims of war and dictatorship'
 

File:Kollwitz.jpgShe also did etchings this one is called 'Woman with Dead Child'.

'The Survivors'

2 comments:

  1. This art is really cool and very moving. I like that it makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it doesn't shy away from addressing the "uglier" sides of existence-it shows people at their most vulnerable

    ReplyDelete