Friday, 3 April 2015

H. R. Giger and Other Inspirations

Today I am focusing on the inspiration for my most recent project. I've wanted to work with computer interiors for a while since I really enjoy the sort of "cyberpunk" aesthetic. In my explorations I also came across a hair dryer which I sought to tear apart and see what I could come up with.

I have several inspirations I am looking to one of them being H. R. Giger who is perhaps most known, or at least I know him, for his designs for the "Alien" film series. A lot of his work is very clearly phallic, especially for "Alien" since the Xenomorph design highly resembles certain areas of human anatomy. The fact that his work was based off actual nightmares he had adds an extra level of legitimacy to his "biomechanical" inspired designs. His work was so good it earned an Oscar for "Best Visual Effects" in 1980 for his work on "Alien".

H. R. Giger
HR Giger 2012.jpg
R.I.P
1940-2014

Alien Concept Art
He captured imaginations and haunted dreams with his bio-mechanical visions, drawn from his own nightmares.A prolific artist for over fives decades, he's perhaps best known for his work on sci-fi classic, Alien."His work contributed significantly to the success of the film."

"Where on earth did they think I could have photographed my subjects? In Hell, perhaps?”

In Action
Hans Rudolph Giger, the Swiss surrealist artist best known for his visual effects work on the film Alien, has died at the age of 74 following a fall.Giger found fame through his nightmarish paintings, sculptures and set designs, culminating in an Oscar for Best Visual Effects in 1980 for his work on Alien.He reportedly suffered from nightmares that inspired his depictions of "biomechanical" human figures linked to machines.
"That’s what makes it stronger, the reality.”
Ridley Scott said: “One of the big concerns (on Alien) was how it was going to be carried out. Who was going to actually design it."




"One of the most frightening things about his work is the reality, combined with his own form of fantasy."
Other films he provided design work for include Poltergeist II (1986), Alien III (1992) and Species (1995).

Other Work



Other Inspirations
I love this chair.


I want to evoke a city like "Blade Runner".

  I plan to make a design akin to "The Matrix" by using puzzle pieces.

The DC Comics title "Suicide Squad" also serves as a tone I want to match.



No comments:

Post a Comment